Sunday, November 23, 2014

Of MOOCs and Technology: Why True Education is Not Content Delivery

So I had never heard of these MOOCs until I started this program, so thought I would look into those more. I came across this article and it is evident that this writer, professor, and retired Lt. Colonel of the Air Force does NOT think much of them.  He emphasized that education should be about inspiration and delivered by those with passion for the topic in order for students to get the most out of education.  William Astore felt that you needed to make a connection to that learning and that memorizing information and then taking a multiple choice test on the subject was not going to make a student retain that information.  Unfortunately, these MOOCs seem to be a product of, again, reducing costs (like everyone is trying to do),  because they require no classrooms, materials, utilities, etc.  

He also believe the technology is “overhyped” in today’s schools.  He feels that many teachers incorporate technology because it is trendy instead of when it is appropriate.  That too many of our students are staring at computer screens all day instead listening to enthusiastic creative teachers and professors tell very vivid and exciting stories and lectures.  

I do agree with him on some levels.  I never have wanted to take online classes for these same reasons.  I need something to connect to when I learn so that I can retain the information.  That connection is usually with the teacher or professor that I have.  Along with not being sure if I would have the discipline to keep myself on task throughout the course without “skating” by.  On the other hand, I don’t believe that in my district, we overhype technology.  If anything we need to make some strides to catch up with the rest of the world!

3 comments:

  1. Your article goes along with mine as well. It talked about overemphasis on memorization rather than development of life-long learners. The use of appropriate technology also goes back to training our teachers on how to use it effectively. Give a student an iPad to take pictures isn’t going to broaden their horizons. I agree with you in that there needs to be a connection. Learning is easier, and more likely to continue, if you get excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read something similar to your article but ended up using something different but I agree with what you said Amy. I think there should be a connection as well. Something that these kids and teachers can relate to. That is whats going to make it the most meaningful for them. I do agree that sometimes teachers just throw it in there to say they are using technology but that is not effective for anyone. Like Jessica said, if the teacher is excited about it then the students will be excited about it. I think our district does a great job as far as technology goes but I do think we are still not where we need to be. I agree with Jessica too that it goes back to training the teachers. Maybe more teachers would be using it effectively if they were trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, what stood out and reached me in this article was the single statement, "you needed to make a connection to that learning." I whole-heartedly agree with this statement, and I know few educators who would not. Where I differ in opinion with the retired Air Force Colonel is that he seems to make the assumption that online courses cannot make that connection. I agree the one he describes would be tough to do so, but that is not all online course can be. I agree with you Amy in regards to why you do not take online courses, however there are online courses where that connection can be made. People make connections one the internet all the time whether it be on social media or games. Maybe if you can get some of those elements added to the class, along with personal touches from the instructor, then there can be a meaningful connection.

    ReplyDelete