Sunday, November 23, 2014

7 Ways to Deal With Digital Distractions in the Classroom

http://www.edudemic.com/7-ways-deal-digital-distractions/ 

7 Ways to Deal With Digital Distractions in the Classroom

Digital devices seem to be almost everywhere today in education. According to the author of this article, if those devices are embraced wholeheartedly, they become a powerful tool for creating an engaged and individualized education experience. If they are not embraced, they tend to become a distraction rather quickly.  The author goes on to point out that most teachers see them as both, depending on the group in front of them, and the time of the day. One thing that we can all be sure of, is that they are here to stay.

I tend to agree with the opening of this article. Staff members that I know embrace digital devices use them to engage their students and to individualize education. Those staff members that do not, are constantly complaining about the distractions. Again, I see in myself that there are certain times when I good at the ipads in my room as both. The article goes on to say, rather than complain, we need to find ways to deal with distractions. This article lists seven of them

1.    Destroy the multi-tasking myth: Constantly when I catch students doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, I hear “but I was listening.” Sometimes they can even tell me what I was talking about. Just because they hear, and and repeat it right away does not mean they are retaining that information. Yes they can do two things at once, but they probably can’t do two things well.

2.       Don’t ban smart phones: When I first started teaching, this was the policy. When schools ban them outright, it takes away from the students’ ability to personalize the lesson on their own. For example, if the teacher uses a term the students doesn't know, they can look It up quickly, or google something they want more information on.

3.       Break up long digital readings in to short paragraphs. People read differently online. It’s too hard to process long, drawn out paragraphs digitally. Readers want short, chunked up information. If creating something digitally, chunk it up. Admittedly, I am not great about this, mostly because I never really considered it. I will not though.

4.       Use those same distractions to foster learning. If you have a student who loves to text, have them write a story all in texts. If you have an avid gamer, have them create a script for their very own game. Get creative!

5.       Don’t post everything online. Fight the urge to give them detailed lecture notes before the lesson. They will have no reason to pay attention. Sometimes I am guilty of this. I give the students too much. They know they can reference it later, so they do not pay attention. This is a lesson I have had to learn.

6.       Create interesting lessons in the real world. There was a time when we all had to do this. I’m sure we can remember how. Give the students something to do that doesn’t revolve around their devices every now and again.

7.       Teach students to control themselves. Model this for them. When the email notification goes off, fight the urge to check it in front of the students. Teach them that it’s ok to wait. I struggle with this one…a lot. But how can I expect my students not to look, when I look too. So I’m working on it.

The author of this article puts forth some good suggestions and ideas on how to work around a new kind of problem in the education world. There have always been distractions, but never before have they been right at the students’ fingertips. It’s more imperative than ever before that we as educators do what we can to curb those distractions. 



3 comments:

  1. I liked what this author had to say! Some bits were hard to relate to because obviously in elementary we don't use devices unless we grab the chrome books. I did like how the author mentioned the importance of the differentiation in projects and presentations. I loved the texting idea! So fun. I need to do a lot better with this. For some reason it doesn't occur to me a lot of the time to offer another means of presentation for student choice. Also, I appreciated the bit about chunking information--I do so much better focusing on little bits of information as do most of my students. I also agreed with the multitasking comment! My kids can usually spit back some info if they are trying to do a few things at once, but it is not as much as I know they could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sharing this article with our staff. Last spring was the first time our students were allowed to carry their cell phones with them. It has been a huge challenge this fall because they can't get through a class without them. Some teachers have asked that the phones be banned from the classroom again. I don't want them banned because I do ask students to use them for educational activities. Students need to be taught how and when it's appropriate to use them rather than banning them. We have also been encouraged to put all of our notes online. I will continue putting them on after the lesson rather than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a discussion in stats class on day about multi-tasking and about how we all (myself included) think we are great multitaskers, but in reality are not as great as we think we are. The discussion started when we were talking about texting in class and several student felt they could text and not miss anything that was presented. We looked up a couple of studies done that dealt with students reading a passage while texting as they read and reading it without texting and even with texting time subtracted, the texters took longer to read the passage and had lower rates of comprehension. I do think there are certain times when multitasking is okay and doesn't necessarily distract from either task.

    ReplyDelete