Monday, October 20, 2014

Integrating Technology in the Classoom: It Takes More than Just Computers

http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech146.shtml

This is one of the first articles I have read where I found myself not agreeing with the majority that was reported. Now, after reading it, I looked at the date when the article was written, and it make more sense as to why that was so. This article was written in 2011, and was all about integrating technology. During this time, I would say that the attitude was geared more towards integrating while today we look at it more as embedding. This article was giving websites and activities for easy integration. Some of the things were weather channel and online calendars for younger grades who take time to do "calendar." Others were things like websites that offer current events.

As I was reading this, I think I was having a hard time agreeing because these were things I was doing when I first started teaching--when I was just happy to use the device! The device didn't serve much of a purpose other than I was "using technology" and the kids were excited to do something in a different way. I started teaching the same year that this article was released. Oh, how the times have changed! Now, I feel like I am doing these sort of things as well as others that serve even more of a purpose. Now that I am a little more tech savvy and also more aware (from all these classes mostly) on how to embed technology into my classroom, these things don't sound as great, amazing, or even worthwhile. They are great tools for students to access to help them with other things, but these tools don't amaze students anymore like they used to either. The novelty is gone--students have so much access to the web at home, that these types of programs don't spark interest like they used to.

Now, we have to use a combination of those online tools paired with problems solving skills and higher order thinking. We should challenge them with the task, not just impress them with different forms of technology. We need to let technology facilitate them towards their goal, making their journey to their goal eye-opening and supplying a more efficient way to get there.

In my school, as well as the last elementary school I was at, most teachers are using technology like this, here and there. It is very easy to be content using technology in this fashion--just by supplying websites and whatnot for students to go through. It makes teachers feel successful in using technology, but in reality, this technology is just another version of the paper copy in many instances.

This class should be good because it will really help us take technology to another level in our schools--not only presenting the tool but also how to use it in a meaningful way!

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your thoughts. I think a lot of teachers are still using technology because of the "cool" factor, but that is wearing off fast. That is also an expensive way of trying to get students attention. True student engagement is captured through thoughtful instruction and questioning, which can be enhanced and more efficient through technology. However, those sites and resources can be useful in giving students a place to go in times of need or to use their problem solving skills to filter useful information.
    I am guilty of this myself, using technology for technology sake to maybe make a dull lesson more engaging. Embedding technology naturally into curriculum is a long process of experimentation and reflection. Education seems to be in a constant state of transition so experimentation and flexibility are necessary skills a teacher must have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Dan. Experimentation and flexibility are necessary skills for today's teacher.

    I like Marisa's comment about "We should challenge them with the task, not just impress them with different forms of technology. " That is the key to student achievement.

    I wonder why more teachers don't look at it that way????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about this too. I think some of it comes down to professional development and how the material is presented. Most of our professional development for technology is cut short because of time constraints. This makes it tough for the presenter to present the information at a deeper level and just gives us a preview of the technology. We discussed in class how sometimes it is better to go more in depth rather than just touch on a lot of things. Maybe instead of just presenting new tools and programs during PD for technology, we should really focus on how to apply the tool in a lesson to enhance it and really use it in a meaningful way, rather than just teaching the ins and outs.

    ReplyDelete