Sunday, October 19, 2014

4 Ways to Prepare Teachers for Technology Integration

4 Ways to Prepare Teachers for Technology Integration
The article I read addressed schools that were losing their technology teachers due to budget cuts. It stated that regular education teachers were expected to pick up the slack. In order to prepare the teachers, a pedagogy center at Montclair State University in New Jersey offered a four-step approach. The first step was certification. A program was created that teachers educators how to evaluate different technologies rather than teaching them about specific types. The program stresses technology as a tool that does not replace good pedagogy.
The next step was getting technology in the hands of the educators. Select teachers were given grant-funded “digital backpacks” to utilize in the classroom.  Since what they have been learning on is at the university, they wanted to give technology to those who didn’t have it in their buildings. “These backpacks include tools such as laptops, flip cameras and portable wireless access points, among other things.” An issue that arose was security concerns for introducing a different device/network into an already existing school network. The pedagogy center works with schools to help troubleshoot these issues. I think that’s a big concern that doesn’t get addressed. It seems that in a lot of schools, once devices are issued, there is such difficulty in organizing solutions to those problems. Also, once the teachers are given the digital backpacks, they have embedded professional development so they have a follow up on what they are doing.
The third step to helping teachers was creating what they referred to as “digital scholars”. They selected 6 teachers who were interested to do a study using their technology. The study wasn’t just about finding out if students could perform better with the use of technology. It encompassed the other aspects of a classroom that teachers think about: lightning, seating arrangements, audio availability, furniture, etc. Then looking at the whole classroom rather than isolating the technology component.
The last step for teacher tech integration was the most interesting. This step discussed using students as the leaders for professional development for teachers. Students were asked what technology did they use in their own personal lives to help with homework. The educators then learned about these resources, and worked with the students to create a plan that the students would deliver for teacher professional development. The article wrapped up by discussing that in order to see a change, we have to take risks. If you are taking a great risk, or change, you have the possibility of seeing a great result.

Looking at this article, I like the idea of sending digital backpacks with teachers. I know our school has more technology than others, but I also feel that we need to catch up. The pace is moving faster than schools can keep up. I also like that there is a continued support beyond the initial giving of the devices through the embedded professional development days. I know that’s something we discussed in class that everyone feels is absolutely crucial. If there were more programs like this available, I wonder how many teachers would feel the intrinsic drive to sign-up? Until administration pushes, I think there will always be those who are too intimidated (or simply not interested) to pursue professional development in this area. 

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting article Jessica. I like the four different steps and I think by having those steps in place, teachers and administrators are really held accountable. I too, think our district has given us some great technology to use but I also think we are behind as well. With technology constantly changing it is hard to catch up and stay on top of it, but I can't help but think there is more that we could be doing or using. I think in order for any professional development to be successful there has to be some kind of follow up that holds teachers accountable for at least trying and I like that this article talks about that. I do agree with Jessica in that nothing is going to change until administration does something about it. I feel we have touched on that in class quite a bit as well. Without the push from administrators some teachers won't use technology at all in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your article interesting, Jessica, especially the 3rd and 4th step to this approach. I thought that considering the environment is often overlooked in implementing a technology program. I often wonder how technology use may change the physical make up of a classroom and change the "desks in rows" traditional set up, or the amount of outlets or lighting availability. I know that my school's program has pushed me to create a charge/docking station in my room. I also liked to final step, which is seeking feedback from the students to drive technology planning or use. It is always interesting to see how inovative and creative students can get by using their devices and the opportunity to use technology.

    ReplyDelete